History of Glassdrummond Church 

Canon Peter Sheerin began his ministry in the parish of Upper Creggan in 1909. He was conscious that the Church of St. Brigid in Glass¬drummond, which was built in the 1770's was no longer suitable for the service of the people in the area. In a letter of 14th September 1922 Cardinal Logue says that on his first visit to the parish about three years earlier he had seen the state of the church and agreed with Canon Sheerin that it would be preferable to build a new church than to waste money doing re¬pairs on the old. It would be best to construct a "plain, solid, commodious and becoming" church.  Canon Sheerin had already got a donation of a site from John Quinn of Lurgan Road.

By early October 1922 Canon Sheerin had selected the firm of W. H. Byrne of Dublin as architect, and he suggested to him that they should draw up a contract for the cutting away of the rocky site to the lev¬els determined. He felt that locals might be prepared to undertake the work during the winter months so he instructed the architect to have specifications ready for Sunday 22nd of Oc¬tober. The contract for the site works was given to John Boyle who used locals under the unemployment schemes in practice and the Parish Priest asked the able-bodied men of the district to give one day a fortnight to help carry out the work.

In February 1925 the parish priest heard that the stone from Ravensdale House was for sale by the Irish Free State Government. In April a letter from the Land Commission informed him that they were willing to accept the offer of  £250 for the ruin of the building, provided that the stone was removed before 1st September.  Canon Sheerin accepted the offer and contracted Felix O’Hare of Warrenpoint to dismantle the building at a cost of £882-7s-6p. Donal Haughey of Forkill drew the stone by steam engine and wagon along with local farmers with horse and cart. John McGuinness of Dundalk was chosen as contractor for the sum of £18,500., and work began in June 1926 with the laying of the foundation stone at Easter 1927.

The twelve red granite columns came from Aberdeen and the altars were supplied by Favilla of Italy. The marble worker on site was Carlo Lombardi who lodged locally and employed the sacristan Willie Battern as his assistant. The 96 seats and kneelers were supplied from Dundalk at a cost of £1435.

The blessing of the altar took place on Saturday 24th September 1932 and the dedication of the church took place the following day. Canon Sheerin died on 12th December just weeks after the completion the work that took so many years of his time.